Every CARFAX Vehicle History Report™ checks for:
Every CARFAX Report contains important information that can impact your decision about a used vehicle through a detailed VIN # check. Through this VIN search, some types of information included in CARFAX Reports include:
- Vehicle registration: CARFAX receives vehicle registration and VIN information from every U.S. and Canadian provincial motor vehicle agency. Search CARFAX Reports to help you see where and how the vehicle may have been used.
- Frame/structural damage: Even a minor incident can cause structural damage that impacts a car's value and safety. The CARFAX Vehicle History Report may show if a vehicle has suffered frame damage. Always have a car's frame or structure inspected by a mechanic
- Title information: Flood damaged cars can be dangerous to drive and are often moved to other states and sold to unsuspecting buyers. The CARFAX Vehicle History Report includes flood damage titles issued by state DMVs, and you can use the free CARFAX Flood Check to see if a used auto was reported as flooded.
including salvaged or junked titles
- Accident indicators such as airbag deployment: After airbags are deployed, they must be properly replaced. The CARFAX Vehicle History Report may alert you to previously deployed airbags. Always have a car's airbags inspected by a mechanic.
- Odometer readings: The CARFAX Vehicle History Report includes DMV-reported odometer problems. In addition, CARFAX does an odometer rollback check on every vehicle identification number that you run to help you identify possible odometer fraud.
- Service and repair information: CARFAX has millions of service records, including oil changes and other routine maintenance, which are included in the CARFAX VIN check. Remember to also ask the seller for service and maintenance records.
- Lemon history: When a new vehicle has major problems and is bought back by the manufacturer, it may be marked by the state as a lemon car. The CARFAX Vehicle History Report can help you see if a car has been branded as a lemon by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You can use the free CARFAX Lemon Check to see if a used car was reported as a lemon.
- Vehicle usage (taxi, rental, lease, etc.): Rental cars are often well maintained but are driven by many people under various driving conditions. The CARFAX Vehicle History Report may tell if the vehicle has been registered by a rental company.
- Total loss accident history: An insurance company may declare a vehicle a total loss, even if the damage is insufficient to warrant a salvage title by a state DMV. The CARFAX Vehicle History Report may tell if the automobile has been declared a total loss by an insurance company.
- Recall information: CARFAX offers recall data on all major car brands. Find everything from Nissan recall or Honda recall info, to Chevrolet and Ford recalls. Easily check open recalls by VIN to see specific issues with your vehicle.